Alternate to Benchmark Dac 1?

Over the last few weeks I put together a system for my mother. NHT C-1 speakers, Rega Brio 2017 amp, and  a Benchmark Dac 1 as a source. The Dac 1 is better the the Schiit Modi 3+ I tried before it. If I were buying for myself, I could try this and that for a long time. However, since I am buying it for her, I will have limited opportunity to audition things. The question I have is what would be a good alternative to the Benchmark? As I understand it, the Benchmark is known for being accurate, while others are considered less accurate but are like for certain qualities they have. I was able to get the Dac 1 for $365. What would be a good alternative at $600 or less  (new or used) that would represent a different sound? The benchmark is very clear, lacks distortion, and made sense of Zooropa and other albums which have a lot of complex mixes. I was impressed. I would just like to try something that may have a bit more warmth before we settle on something. She is 72 and will probably have this from now on. By the way , the NHT C-1 speakers seem to very neutral, like the Benchmark. I guess I'm thinking something with a little "warmth" or "character" might be worth a look. 
severncreek
I don't know DAC2, but I jumped from DAC1 to DAC3 - huge difference, in spite of my DAC1 updated with better op-amps.  Sound od DAC3 is fuller in the midrange being as clean/detailed as DAC1 was.   You should update it, if you're still in accurate camp.
@soix I appreciate the recommendation. I see that is an R2R dac. I have heard they have different kind of sound. Have you heard the Musician Draco?
@kijanki I have not owned a dac other than the Schiit Modi 3+ for a few weeks and a dragonfly for my iPhone for about a year. I do not have much experience with dacs. The dragonfly makes Tidal sound great. Especially with MQA over Grado SR 80 headphones. I don't know which camp I am in. The NHT speakers are very clear with a slight harshness in upper midrange every once in a while. Not much though. Enough that I wondered if a dac with some coloration would not be good for this particular set up. I read that Benchmark does not believe there is a big difference between their models, but users seem to think so. Maybe that's why I could pick up the DAC 1 so cheap. The 2 and 3 are out of my price range. Do you have any experience with the Bifrost 2? Thank you for replying.
@yyzsantabarbara Thank you for the recommendations. When I buy for myself I would like to keep the Gustard in mind. I read about the Topping in the forums. Many seem to like it. 
@severncreek No, I don't.  I would save for used DAC2 or DAC3.  Benchmark is high tech company, that you cannot go wrong with.  As for the camp - I've tried to apply my engineering background to make sense of electrical principles behind good audio reception, until I finally realized that audio is like a woman - supposed to be loved, not understood.  There is no right or wrong.