AIFF vs Apple Lossless Ripping

I have a large music collection that I have ripped using Apple Lossless and error correction turned on. I have recently seen several postings saying that AIFF (with error correction turned on)is the way to go. Would anyone care to address the superiority of AIFF vs Lossless, and if possible, explain why one would potentially be better than the other? And, if AIFF results in a larger file, approximately how much larger (percentage). I'm trying to decide if it's worthwhile to re-rip a 1400 cd collection.
rabco
Kbarkamian,

Thank you - so everything downloaded from the iTunes store is MP3?

Re "buy the CD" do you mean the actual, physical CD - as in buy it somewhere else?
Im new to ripping I just bought a Ayre qb-9 and alas I can hear a pronouncd difference between AIFF Apple Lossless. Time to invest in a larger hard drive
Hi British, can you provide more details on your setup? I'm 'getting into' computer audio as well and want to start off on the right foot in regards to which format to rip to. I'll be using an Acer Revo 'net top' to feed a calyx 192 dac. i'm also looking into jriver media player instead of using itunes in windows. I know this topic is beaten to death and I am utilizing the search features of this and other forums, but am always receptive to any direct recommendations.
I cannot hear any difference between ALAC and AIFF but it might be placebo effect since I know that hard disk ALAC or AIFF files have no timing and in reality it takes shorter to decompress than read larger file from hard drive. Data comes in packets anyway and has no timing until it is placed in output buffers and clocked out. I hope that Al (Almarg), being computer expert, can join us and explain it better. Is it possible that something else plays part in ALAC vs AIFF playback? (different playback program, computer settings etc.) Again, I'm just trying to understand without questioning anybody's findings.
Thanks, Kijanki. Concerning sonic differences between lossless audio formats, see my thoughts here, and in my subsequent posts in that thread. Note also the posts in that thread by Steve N. (Audioengr), who offers some alternative ideas.

Best regards,
-- Al