Advice on a speaker purchase

Hi, I would like some suggestions on an upgrade I'd like to make from my current speakers. My budget s $2k, new or used. I presently listen to a six-year old pair of vandersteen 1c's. Up front are a Sim Audio I-5 integrated and a Sim Nova cd player. I do not want to change anything but the speakers. The room size is 27' x 14' x 8' high, but the listening area is 14' x 14.' I generally listen at medium volumes (nothing higher than 85db), and like rock, acoustic rock, ambient, and acid jazz. While most of my listening is rock (alt, indie, classic) and trippy ambient music and acoustic rock, my volumes do not have to shake the room or have thundering bass. I rock out with my headphones.

I like the sound I currently have, but am interested in changing flavors to something a little more perky and upbeat, perhaps something a little less relaxed as the vandy's. However, I am not interested in a horn set-up nor do I require a radical change. I just want to move it over a notch or 2 on the continuum of sonic flavor. I have limited space for a speaker larger than the 1c, and would like to actually get something smaller, but am concerned about my room size (for example, is the room size the correct metric here or is it my listening area?). I have demo'd the Totem hawks and like them mucho, but (again) have room size concerns. Do I need to have these room size concerns? (I cannot demo at home, not in NYC). I have also demo'd the Gallo nucleus reference, but was not impressed with the change in sound when I was not sitting in the sweet spot (and I won't always be glued to that spot when I'm playing music). My research has also led to some other contenders that I have not heard yet, Von Schweikert VR2, Quad 22L, and Audio Physic Yara. I will only be able to have the speakers 18" from the back wall, and a massive entertainment center sits in the middle of my speakers, which are 7 feet apart. The speakers would be a half-foot away from one side of that entertainment center. None of the room constraints can change. The Quad 22L would surely have high WAF; they are gorgeous.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks, walkman
walkman
I am not first hand familiar with a lot of the speakers you mentioned. When doing an upgrade myself recently, I went with demo Meadowlark Ospreys. They are very natural and laid back, so may not be what you are looking for. I also considered the VR2's, but decided against them because a substantial part of their sonic signature is the rear-firing tweeter, which does not lend itself to close wall placement. Something to keep in mind.

Good luck, and good listenting.
I think that one should consider looking at Green mountain audio Callistos since they are very dynamic and high in resolution. Do a search on agon to see what type of speakers you may be interested in the cost is usually half of new .Take care Dennis
You mentioned you like the Totem Hawks... well, my friend... I highly recommend the Totem Forest. Very, very musical and a sounstage to die for. They image like crazy and have unbelievable bass for their modest size. They are a big step up from the Hawk's for only a litte bit more money.

I have a pair in a second system in a room size a tad larger than yours and I love them immensely. They should work well with your gear. You can find them used on Audiogon and generally sell them for almost what you bought them for when you want a change. (No mine are not for sale.)

Happy listening!
Thanks Georg3 and others...I was concerned about the ability of my I-5 to drive the Forests, but you say that they should work well with my gear. Have you heard the Forests driven by the Sim I-5? Totem says the I-5 would "do well with the Forests at low to medium volumes, but would not be sufficient for maximum dynamics." So, I had some reservations about that next step up.

Bigkidz, yes, I would like to hear some more...personal auditioning is key, I realize that homework is more important. Thanks.

Cenline: the callistos are monitors. I want/need a floorstander; monitors are out (I have kids). I realize Green Mountain makes some floorstanders, and they are highly regarded, but even the pico mideo is just too expensive ($6500 MSRP). Just won't work for me.

Jeromedny: thanks for the tip on the VR2; yeah, I could not pull them out as far as that rear firing tweeter might like. I have read that they are position sensitive. They are probably not ideal for my constrained logistical set-u.

- walkman
Clarification...Totem said the I-5 would do well with the Forests at "medium/high volumes, but maximum dynamics would not be reached." There, that's better. - walkman