Advice for speakers under $4K for mixed use

Amp Marantz MM8003 (140W x 8ch (8 ohms)

Looking for front speakers for mixed stereo listening and surround use. Space is at a premium but small footprint floorstanding would work.
skirchof
A used pair of Thiel CS2.4 ($5000 retail, $2000-$3000 used).

"The Thiel CS2.4 is a great loudspeaker, one of the very best I've heard regardless of price. Its treble soars and its bass plummets, but all the while the CS2.4 sounds utterly neutral and musically communicative. This speaker looks gorgeous and has the earmarks of heirloom-quality craftsmanship."

Soundstage!

PSB Synchrony One $4500 retail:

"Furthermore, the bass wasn't just deep, but well controlled, super tight, and without any boost or emphasis in the upper-bass region (100-150Hz or so) that gives the illusion of really deep bass when it's not there. The One delivers the real thing -- nothing I heard in my room would cause me to dispute the 30Hz specification."

""However, something I didn’t expect from the Synchrony One impressed me far more: the level of midrange clarity, detail, and tonal accuracy."
Soundstage!

I really like the Thiel sound (or lack of sound) but there are a lot of good choices in the $4000 price rang that I am sure other people will chime in on. It is best to get out and demo speakers.
James63 is right, best to get out and demo as much as possible. Here are two that you might like.

Von Schweikert 4JR or 4SR
Devore Fidelity Nines
add in B&W models (CM9 and the next one up?), PMC (Gb1 I think and the next up), Pro-AC seems to be well thought of. Aerial 6, some of the Salk models, some of the totems, and I'm sure others. Note I just trying the think of small footprint floorstanders (the b&w's are dodgy on this list). Of these I really liked the PMC units. leaves money left over for cables and stuff.

+1 on the demodemodemodemo and pretty much all listed in above posts.

p