Adding a Dac and Stresmer

Looking for some advice and need you guys to check my thinking…
I have a PrimaLuna Preamp and Amplifier…..need a Dac and streamer….Being I have a preamp to my thinking I don’t need a Dac that has a preamp and volume, am I thinking right? The speakers are Klipsch Heritage so I think I should get a mellow sounding Dac, maybe a Denifrips Pontus with the Auralic Aries G1.1…..would be happy with a $5000 budget…

silverfoxvtx1800

Depending on budget I would agree about Pontus II as best bang for the buck in your system. If you can afford it the Venus II is noticeably better but only by a few percent depending on the resolution of your system.

A Lumin U1 Mini with linear power supply is more than adequate. Or the newer U2 Mini.

I have a Lumin U1 (full size) running into a Venus II into Icon Audio Stereo 300 mkII  (sometimes Stereo 40 mkIV) and Forte IV speakers in my main system now. The system is more resolving and musical than you could ever imagine those fun speakers being capable of.

@Silverfox:  you are correct, the Auralic via Upscale only charges shipping.  Nice tip, thanks!

Hi, I use the Holo Audio May KTE DAC ($5000) and recently got their Red streamer/DDC ($1000). Both are hooked up to a tube pre and a tube amp. The sound is amazing. Deap amd wide Soundstage with great sense of space, great instrument seperation. A full bodied, lush and as natural as I ever experienced sounding combination. I also have the Lab 12 Reference DAC and it sounds thin in comparison to the May.

I have to be honest. I did not know anything about streamers and dad's. My first system consisted of ML ESL !! A's and a Linn streamer. The system has expanded but the streamed is still in play. It has the ability to act as a streamer/amp, a streamer/pre amp, or just as a line source. I am very happy with this streamer

@gilaad 

I seem to be heading down a similar path as yourself. Can I ask what I2S cables you are using (assuming that I2S is your choice) at the moment? What else have you considered? 

Thanks in advance!