Active Linn Katans

I wonder if anybody has any experience with Katans active using a LK-85 for treble and a Majik for bass? I found the system to be bass heavy and when compared with an active setup using two LK-85:s there is a huge tone difference. My problem is that tunewise the systems don't differ much... the two LK-85 being just a notch ahead of the Majik/LK-85 combo. At low to average volume levels the extra bass feels nice (but is it supposed to be there?????).

Is there a gain incompability between the stereo cards and the mono cards? (I have the new mono cards). Or is there a problem using the Majik (which is a different kind of poweramp compared to the LK-85) together with other Linn amplifiers? Or am I just going nuts and should go home, buy a $200 amplifier, turn the bass control to max, press the loudness button and enjoy all the bass??

The tunedem method is great, but what do you do when you have too systems that compare well to each other, but have a completely different tone balance? Which is correctly reproducing what's _on_ the record???

/Christian
chk
Gavin,

I can relate to the story about the homoe theatre setup. Seems to me like alot of people today are going for the "more is better"-sound instead of listening to what is going on. Using my setup together with a dvd have made more than one guest ask about what kind of HT-setup I am using. When I answer none, I'm just using a 2-channel amp, they just drop their jaw.

The Kolektor will arrive on wednesday, so on Thursday I'll give it an initial test. I'll keep you updated of the progress! As I think I mentioned earlier, the Katans can grow with the system, and I'm sure they will be the last part of my system that will receive any attention in the future. So although the Katans are small and people claim they can't be compared with floorstanding speakers I'm sure you (and I) have made a good compromise between size, positioning and ability to deliver music. I think upgrading your Classic with the Linn path will give you many hours enjoying the music you have.

Actually, I have decided that next step will be an used Ikemi, but it will take a year or two before my girlfriend will let me open my wallet again.

Christian
Gavin,

I have now received my Kolektor now and I'm not sure what to say. After having had a month where the sound has changed alot, I now think my system is where it should be, very musical and wonderful performance. The tune is there _and_ the tonal balance is there. My LK-85:s are suddenly doing what they should do, amplifying a great input signal. I have a feeling something is wrong with my Majik.

Going from a Majik to a Kolektor and 2 LK-85 active is a _huge_ improvement. If I had known how big it was I would have done it for a long time ago. My itch to upgrade has weakend alot.

Tonight I'm going to try and reposition the Katans, but I really am not sure if it is necessary, the source, pre-amp, amp combo just sunds great. I'm sure you would find the same in your system, despite the restrictive speaker placement.

What is your upgrade path?

/Christian
Christian,

That is nice to hear that the Kolektor is such a big improvement on the Majik. Did you end up using the tone controls on the Kolektor at all? It sounds like you are happy with your Genki now as well, or is an Ikemi soon in your plans as well?

My first upgrade, I think, will either be to add a LK85/140 and biamp with my Classik, OR, possibly go with a sub. I plan to demo both when I get a chance to go to my nearest Linn dealer, which is unfortunatly 400km away. I will be interested to hear with my own ears the 85 vs. the 140.

From there, either a second LK85/140, or two if I have a sub, in order to go active. After going active, I would start looking at the source and pre. This is a bit away for me however, but it is nice to think about!

Gavin.
One should always set up goals and try to reach them... :)

At the moment I am very pleased with my setup. So far I've had no use for the tonecontrols at all, the sound being well balanced. The Ikemi is my next goal, but I already know (my girlfriend told me..) I won't reach that goal in the next year. I hope the Unidisk will bring out alot of second hand Ikemis.

I have never heard I Classic but I've been told the CD is quite good, almost in par with the Genki, and the tuner is supposed to be great. So in my opinion you already have good sources.

Judging from your setup I think the LK85/140 would be the natural way to go. The LK140 is probably the best match, since the Katans prefer power, but of course that's depending on what you're trying to achieve.

The Katans are a pair of good speakers, I've heard of people who preferred them to the Ninka. If you take the Katan and add a Sizmik I'm sure you'll have a speaker configuration that beats the Ninkas (I'll probably get flamed for saying that :).

400 km:s?? And I thought I had it tough with 200 km (although the dealer I'm purchasing my stuff from is 1000 km away).

As always, go with your ears, and if it doesn't sound good then it isn't good. Very simple.

/Christian