a new amp hum problem...checked the archives

Recently, I purchased a new amp. It hums. Not just the speakers, the amp itself. The only thing I haven't done is open the amp and tighten the screws. Here's what I have already checked out -

Disconnected everything from wall except amp, then disconected everything from amp except speakers. So the only players are the wall, the amp, and the speakers. Tried a cheater plug - no help. The amp still hums and the speakers still hiss. I've plugged the amp into different outlets on different circuits - still hums.

I have noticed that the hum and hiss seem to cycle a bit - it appears to get louder and softer, but I may just be crazy. I love the sound of the amp, but can't live eith the hum. If it's an electric problem, why doesn't it affect anything else? Didn't affect my receiver (which is now a preamp). I have a HSU Research amp for my subwoofer that used to hum, but (I know, I know...) a cheater plug solved that problem. I don't know what to do.

I am very frustrated and need your help.

Thanks,

Dan
dklap
thanks for the suggetions -

today, i purchased a line conditioner which failed to alleviate the problem. it wil be returned asap.

also, i did open the amp to check the transformer, but it seemed very securely fastened. i'll give it another look.

it's a huge transformer. there's already a bolt through the middle, but the washers aren't very big. i have some left over foam rubber circles with matching washers from my salamander archetype rack - maybe i'll try clamping down with those. also, i checked with the manufacturer - he'll replace the trans, upgrade the caps, and give me a 20 year warranty on the amp, but that's $400 i don't have...

as for the capacitors, i guess i can check those - do they just 'push' in?

i haven't cut the other circuits in the house yet, but i guess that's an option. i am also planning on trying the amp at a friend's house to make sure that it is an internal problem and not an environmental one. i will also research the Ah Offset Killer.

thanks again, i'll keep you posted.
here's the next question. i decided to further tighten the transformer to the chassis and the hum has diminished significantly, but not completely. the question now is how tight can you make it? if i tighten it anymore, i am worried i may damage the transformer. any guidelines on this?

thanks
-dan
I had a similar problem with an amp. As it broke in the hum disappeared. Maybe you should just let it break in like I did which is a very simple solution and see if that helps.
anyone know about the ah! ac offset killer? how it works? a less expensive alternative? still can't kill the hum.