$2500 amp and pre/pro

Ok, my receiver just died. The good news I can now move on to separates and finally hear the full(er) potential in the rest of my equipment. The bad news is I'm off to medschool and, for the next several years, will redefine poor. I will be buying used off A'gon--if at all possible, I'd really like to stay under $2500 for the pair. Here's the rest of my system.

4 Vienna Acoustic Bach's
Rel Storm III sub
Pioneer 47a player
some crappy cambridge soundworks center speaker

Multichannel amps that seem to be in my price range are sunfire cinema grand, B&K, Outlaw I guess--though I don't like that option much--not really sure what else. Vienna Acoustics are warm speakers and I'm concerned that warm sounding amps might make them sound dark.

I'm really stuck when it comes to a pre/pro. They all seem to break the bank. Video switching is not crucial, SACD + DVD-A input is however. I'm also leary of processors that disable the sub in two channel mode. The Bach's are only rated to 38Hz (which I think is a stretch) and I really like to be able to use the REL to fill out the sound while in stereo.

Although I'm looking for a multichannel setup, this system will be used 90%+ for music. I enjoy two channel and multichannel alike. Movies come a distant second.

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks
ultraviolet
Your could go with Outlaw's Pre-Pro the 950
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/950.html for $799. It is a rebranded Sherbourn. and match with their equally well regarded Amplifier the 755 for 1299. http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/755.html.
I never considered the sherbourn, thanks, I'll check that out.

I kept reading about processors and now I'm considering the Aragon Soundstage. It seems to get incredible reviews for it's two channel sound in particular and it has 5.1 analogue inputs (thought I think this is through a DB-25 connector?). Has anyone compared this to the Anthem avm2? How do you think it would sound paired with a Sunfire amplifier (although I'm not totally sold on the Sufire yet) through Vienna Acoustic speakers? It does seem to be somewhat dated, but if it sounds good, and it has DTS, Dolby Digital etc. for movies and 5.1 analogue inputs, I don't really know what else I need. Also, I think there was an upgrade for this too, but I'm not sure, I emailed Aragon, but haven't heard back yet.
I have an Aragon Soundstage with the upgrade. The upgrade was to 7.1 (with the Aragon Stage One's digital section minus the THX); however, Aragon is out of upgrade kits, so you can't upgrade at this time.

However, the stock Soundstage is fantastic! The 2 channel section is basically Aragon's top of the line Aurum preamp (retail $2k in 1990 dollars). The 5.1 inputs is through the DB-25 pin. Onkyo sells a DB-25 to 6 RCA female connector for $13 (just add 6 RCA cables).

IMO, you should get a Soundstage used for $1000, used Aragon 8008x3 200x3 amp for $1150, and used Aragon 2004 125x2 for $350. Then get a matching center speaker!
The Sherbourn and the Outlaw are the same processor. They are made by Eastek in china. I have a friend that has the outlaw. It can get a little bright and edgy at times. It's ok for movies but not a good choice for music. The good thing is it retails for $800. The bad thing is you get what you pay for.

Good luck,
Prpixel,

The Sherbourn and Outlaw are very similar, but Sherbourn makes some further modifications (I'm not sure of the specifics). In addition, it's in a much nicer chassis that goes well with their amps.

I strongly disagree with your statement that "It's ok for movies but not a good choice for music". In fact, the Sherbourn PT-7000 with the 5/1500A amp in stereo mode gives my excellent tube monoblocks a run for their money. Indeed, I find the stereo performance on the PT-7000 to be very impressive, even edging my NAD T760 receiver (which is itself extraordinarily good at stereo sound for a HT receiver).

I have no reservations recommending the Sherbourn for music as well.

Michael