$ 1,000 A/V receiever recomendations...

I am needing some input on recomendations for a A/V receiver new or used for $1,000 or less. I have read many many posts and have collected some ideas. Please offer some suggestions for units that offer the "latest" technology. My system consists of a 42" Panasonic Plasma, with the Canton 5.1 audio system. Your thoughts/opinions are greatly appreciated.
mikebu
I have the Denon 3803. I chose it because it has component video upconversion. That means all video cables come in and only one set of component cables go out to TV. Now I don`t have to switch video inputs on the TV. Good sounding too. Remote can be an adventure though. DLR
Yamaha RX-V1400 also has video-up conversion. All features are similar. However, RX-V1400 has Dolby ProLogic II-X. MSRP is $800, which is lower than MSRP of Denon 3803. Internet value is substantially less. Unlike the Denon, it is THX certified. To some folks, it is meaningless. To others, it is a sale pitch of retaining higher resale value and possibly quick sale. Some prefer Denon. Others prefer Yamaha. You could probably tell that I am bias. Audition & buy the one you like or makes most sense to you. Good luck.
I wouldn't do it. I would look around here or VG and find a used 5 channel amp and a cheap processor to hold you over until you can afford a better processor.
Why tie yourself in to a receiver? It just doesn't make sense.
"Why tie yourself in to a receiver? It just doesn't make sense."
Not unless the receiver has an excellent processor built in, and then some. I cannot recommend the Yamaha RX-V1400/2400 more highly. Yamaha's Cinema DSPs are among the best, just add a separate amp to drive at least the main 5 channels. The receiver's amp section is fully capable of driving the last 2 channels of rear surround.

The DSP section uses 32bit processors and the 24bit DACs, while the vol control for all channels are matched to within 0.5db. Its a full fledged machine.