The "Very Best Record Cleaning Formulation"

The "Very Best Record Cleaning Formulation"

I am providing this formulation for all who are interested in the very best, and can be proven and demonstrated to be the "Very Best". It can easily be made from available ingredients. On the surface, it appears to be very simple. However, it is based on extensive complex chemistry along with precise mathematical calculations and verifiable data.

You may use it with absolute confidence and be truly assured that it is beyond doubt the "Very Best". You may use it for your personal needs. Or, archival entities may use it for their purposes with confidence. Or, you may choose to start an enterprise that makes and packages quantities as either a "ready-to-use" or a "Semi-concentrated" version for sale and distribution knowing that nothing better exists. You have my blessings and encouragement with one condition. And, that is, that the pricing represents a "fair margin", and, not an obscene gouging, typical for such products.

Initially, I had prepared a presentation that briefly introduced myself, and provided the thought processes, design parameters, and the necessary basics of chemistry, physics, and mathematics to assure you and allow you to be absolutely confident in this formulation. I made a considerable effort to keep it as simple, but, also as thorough enough to achieve this confidence. However, that presentation entailed 5,239 words, typical of such a requirement, however, unacceptable in length by this website forum.

I have no option other than to offer the formulation as a 100% parts by weight version suitable to produce 1 Kilogram of the cleaner, and, invite you to question me about any aspect of the formulation.

Professionally, I am a Chemist, more specifically a Polyurethane Chemist. I have a Doctorate in Chemistry as well as two other Doctorates and a M.B.A.. I held prominent positions in significant corporations before being encouraged to start our (wife and I) manufacturing facility servicing those I previously worked for. We started, owned, and fully operated this business. We eventually obtained 85+% Market Share in our sector in Medical, Automotive, Sporting Goods, and Footwear areas before retirement.

The Audio Industry is extremely technical and many brilliant minds have contributed their talents over the decades in order that we may enjoy music today as we choose. Like many other technical industries, those of lesser minds and values invade the arena with their "magical" inspired revelations and offer their "magical" ingredients and items to all at extremely high prices. They promise that if only we are willing to part with our money - they can provide these items to you that make your audio system sound as if the orchestra, or vocalist, is in your room with you. And, after all, "magical items" must be expensive, otherwise, they would not be "magical".

This disturbs me enormously, and, it is for such reasons, I feel compelled to provide realistic and truthful information that conforms to basic Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematical Principals in those areas with which I am very knowledgeable and familiar.

"Ultimate Record Cleaner Solution"

Ingredient                                          Amount by Weight (Grams)

Distilled Water                                     779.962

Ethyl Alcohol                                       220.000

Tergitol 15-S-7 (Dow Chemical)            0.038  (Approx. = 2 Drops)

Important and/or Relevant Criteria

1.)  Distilled Water ONLY. Do not use deionized, tap, rain, or spring water. Distilled Water is readily available in most grocery stores. Check labeling to be certain that it is distilled and not deionized. The pricing is comparable.

2.)  Ethanol must be purchased at a "Liquor Store" or a "Liquor Control Board" that is suitable for human consumption, and the appropriate taxes must be paid. This assures that the alcohol consists of only Ethyl Alcohol and water. You need to purchase the 95+% version, also known as 180+ Proof. NOTHING ELSE is acceptable. (100% Ethyl Alcohol is not available under "normal" circumstances). Denatured alcohol from a Hardware Store or elsewhere is PROHIBITED, as well as ANY other alcohols.

3.)  Tergitol 15-S-7 is made by Dow and is available on the internet in small quantities from Laboratory Supply Houses such as Fisher and Advance, etc.. I have no affiliations with either Dow Chemical, or Fisher, or Advance. You MUST use Tergitol 15-S-7 ONLY. No other Tergitol product is acceptable for this designed formula, and you need to acquire the undiluted form only.

4.)  The above cleaner formula will result in a non-foaming (VLF) Surfactant Formulation that exhibits the following:

Surface Tension of 28.5 dynes/centimeter @ 20 C. (68.0 F.)

Surface Tension of 28.2 dynes/centimeter @ 25 C. (77.0 F.)

5.). A Surface Tension of 28.5 dynes/centimeter is Remarkable and will properly clean records of all organic soilings, and all oily substances, as well as very significant amounts of inorganic soilings.  This available Surface Tension coupled with the Azeotropic Characteristics of very rapid evaporation and spotless drying occur because of the selection of Ethyl Alcohol and the very specific concentration determined as 22.00% p.b.w., further improves the products abilities.  The "Ease-of-Use" and "Spot-Free" results are to be accepted.

6.). Be aware that an "ideal temperature of use" also exists for this formulation.  And, that reasonable temperature is 40 C. (104.0 F.). Further increases in temperature offers no improvement, therefore, confirming the proper use of the term "ideal". I mention this not because of of any substantial improvement, but, only to be aware of its’ existence. And, if you have a choice to utilize a room that is warmer than another, select the warmer room closer to 104.0 F. There is no need to elevate the temperature of the records or the materials. Simply be aware that 104.0 F. Is ideal.

If interest is expressed in this submission, I am willing to provide additional submissions regarding other materials, and, other areas of interest.  Such as"Best Contact Substance", "Best lubricants for turntables", " Better Dampening Materials" for turntables and tonearms, and, most significantly, "Best" material for "Turntable Platter/Vinyl Record Interface" usually called "Record Mats". The last item will certainly disturb many individuals and anger many suppliers.

Whatever I may contribute is substantiated by Science and Testing, and Verifiable. Science has no Opinions. Opinions in these matters are best reserved for those who rely on their imagination and wishful thinking.

Also, I have no vested interests in this Industry. Simply possess some scientific knowledge that also relates to some aspects of the Audio Area, and I am willing to share that information if requested!

128x128wizzzard

@wizzzard , This is a continuation of the last post.

Is the BAK detrimental in any way? The effect on static was a total surprise! As I said before my turntable uses vacuum clamping, a great way to generate static. The charges were so high that in removing the record sparks would jump to the tonearm causing a loud pop through the system. I had to mute the system every time I removed a record. I use a conductive sweep arm which discharges the top side of the record fine and the platter is grounded. If I leave the record on the turntable for 20 minutes the static dissipates. When I started using this formula the static stopped entirely. The effect persists over at least a year without recleaning the record. If the BAK is not detrimental I would like to continue it. Suggestions on formulation are appreciated.

I think you should keep the formula in grams as it is far more accurate than measuring in volume which is why I use that method for more critical formulas. If the concentrations are that important leave it in grams. Kitchen scales are cheap. The only problem is that best of them only measure down to a 10th of a gram. More accurate scales would be a lot more expensive. So, you may want to round the formula off to 0.1 gm. 

Another reason why vacuum drying is important for me at least is that my formula is leaving a residue on the record and I want to minimize this. I study my styluses under high magnification and have tracked the deposition of residue on the stylus and after a week there is usually enough on the stylus to clean it. For obvious reasons the residue only accumulates on the pivot side of the stylus. One swipe back to front with a stylus brush is enough to take it off, no fluid required. 

Notes from a previous life: benzalkonium chloride is used in sore throat lozenges and spermicidal creams. Maybe we shall see nonoxynol-9 used on LPs one day (a new way of "being careful" with your records)?

Thank you wizzzard for your post.  I just bought a us cleaner and will use your formula.  I have a heavily modified AR-ES and a heavily modified Thorens 160.  Will give it a try with my fist batch.

I would never invade your privacy but you posted your condition.  I'm going out on a limb and assuming it is SOD1.  If so,and I don't know if it's available in Great Briton the FDA here just approved a drug   The drug Qalsody (tofersen) is expected to help people with a very specific mutation, SOD1, which applies to only 2% of the ALS population.

Studies showed that the drug reduced plasma neurofilament light (NfL), a blood-based biomarker of axonal (nerve) injury and neurodegeneration.

If I intruded I sincerely apologize and if I'm wrong I also apologize but I wanted to inform you if I was correct and you didn't know of this therapy.

My best to you!

Mark

@drkingfish 

WARNING:  22% Ethanol is flammable with a flashpoint of about 75F.  Using this concentration in an Ultrasonic Tank with 100’s or 1000’s of mL that is not explosion proof rated is dangerous. With an ultrasonic unit three mechanisms are in play - the heat that speeds up evaporation; the record rotating is drawing fluid out that is evaporating, and the ultrasonics are agitating the fluid surface and a mist/vapor is often produced. All of this has the potential to setup the necessary conditions to develop flammable AND potentially explosive vapors.  Additionally, in a common domestic setting, it is very unlikely that the high ventilation turn-over rates that are required in medical and industrial settings that prevent the accumulation of flammable/explosive vapors will be used. So, the risk in a domestic setting is much higher.  There are explosion-proof rated industrial US tanks, but these are very expensive and generally not sold to consumers.  

Otherwise, 'flammable' alcohol concentrations use with vacuum-RCM the risk is much less, mitigated by use at room temperature and by the very small quantity used – maybe 5- mL per side.