Steve Guttenberg finally reviews the Eminent Technology LFT-8b loudspeaker.

Over the past few years I and a number of other owners of the Eminent Technology LFT-8b have on this site extolled the virtues of this under-acknowledged loudspeaker. I myself have encouraged those interested in Magnepans to try and hear the LFT-8 before buying. That is not easy, as ET has only five U.S.A. dealers.

I am a long-time fan of Maggies, having bought my first pair (Tympani T-I) in 1973, my last (Tympani T-IVa) a few years ago. But the Tympani’s need a LOT of room (each 3-panel speaker is slightly over 4’ wide!), which I currently don’t have. So I gave a listen to the MG 1.7i, and didn’t much care for it. As I recounted in a thread here awhile back, I found the 1.7 to sound rather "wispy", lacking in body and tonal density (thank you Art Dudley ;-).

Brooks Berdan was (RIP) a longtime ET dealer, installing a lot the company’s linear-tracking air-bearing arm on Oracle, VPI, and SOTA tables. After Brooks’ passing his wife Sheila took over management of the shop, continuing on as an ET dealer. I knew Brooks was a fan of the LFT-8, and he had very high standards in loudspeakers (his main lines were Vandersteen, Wilson, and Quad). The shop had a used pair of LFT-8’s, so I gave them a listen. They sounded good enough to me to warrant investigate further, so I had Sheila order me a pair, along with the optional (though nearly mandatory) Sound Anchor bases.

I wouldn’t waste your time if I didn’t consider the ET LFT-8b to be just as I have on numerous occasions (too many times for some here) described it: the current best value in all of hi-fi. Hyperbole? Well, you no longer have to take it from just me and the other owners here: Steve Guttenberg finally got around to getting in for review a pair (the LFT-8 has been in production for 33 years!), and here is what he has to say about it. After watching the video, you can read other reviews (in a number of UK mags, and in TAS by Robert E. Greene) on the ET website.

https://youtu.be/Uc5O5T1UHkE

128x128bdp24

I recorded my Gretsch drumset (with a 26" bass drum) with a pair of small capsule condenser mics plugged straight into a Revox A77 reel-to-reel, using that recording to scrutinize and evaluate the sound of loudspeakers. For years the Magnepan Tympani bass panels came closest to replicating the live sound of that bass drum of all loudspeakers I auditioned: freedom from bloat (caused by driver "overhang"), percussive impact (i.e. attack), tonal timbre, texture, etc. For the sound of my Paiste 602 cymbals, it was ESL and ribbon tweeters.

The sound of a bass drum (even a 26" one) is more mid-bass than deep-bass, but those Tympani bass panels were very, very good at mid-bass. The sound of open baffle/dipole woofers is the closest dynamic driver equivalent to planar bass I’ve heard, the sound of the Rythmik servo-feedback subs second. For context, I own a pair of transmission-line loaded KEF B139 woofers (used by David Wilson as mid-bass drivers in his original WAMM loudspeaker), and owned Infinity RS-1b loudspeakers in the past, which had woofer towers containing six 8" servo-feedback controlled woofers.

@ricevs What you are describing for the 8c ' Extreme' is certainly interesting. I already have the 8c; however, I would be interested in knowing if Bruce would be willing, at a minimum, to provide a neodymium mid range panel replacement. Please keep us posted. 

What will be the benefits of the neodymium upgrade? The lighter weight of the neo is moot as the moving part is the mylar in a planar system.  Will the more power magnetic field generated translate into more clarity and detail?

@bdp24 It certainly would be informative to listen to your set up vs 8c. The main difference being DSP vs electronic x-over. But as @mijostyn mentioned you are a purist on this issue. While I don't always agree with @mijostyn, especially his adamant refusal to accept the merits of under slung tonearm ( he he ), digital signal conversion, even on analog source, is something I have come to accept. I don't understand why it works, but......

@ieales The timeline of your 8b upgrade around 2021-2022 coincided with Bruce's upgrade work on the 8c. Did he mentioned anything to you about it? It seems such a coincidence!

Oh, and I recorded the sound of my two year-old son and then-wife’s voices, using those recordings to evaluate loudspeaker freedom from vowel coloration (thank you JGH ;-), and midrange transparency. A brutally-revealing test! That led me to---of course---the Quad ESL.

@ledoux1238 

Bruce first mentioned the new panels in April 2022.

We bought a new motorhome in May 2022.

Our heating system died Dec 22nd.

Still on the radar... but since the system is so outstanding, there’s a bit of "Ain’t broke,,, Don’t fix" trepidation.

The Sound Anchor custom made heavy gauge steel speaker stands improve the sound of 8b substantially, especially in areas of imaging! Almost essential!

Better the amp & front end the 8bs wont be the limiting link in the system. You do need an amplifier with good power supply, high current if used in medium size room If used with REL reference subs arrays , the 8b will compete to any speakers at any price.

I was able to find and purchase long out of production custom edition big LFT 6s, and these go almost full range, but require nuclear plant level of power to really shine.... After these LFT 6s , most other speakers sound like carbon copy of music. 8bs come pretty close, having owned them both at the same time.