Ethernet Switch- what's the point?

I run an Ethernet cable between my router (standard issue from Verizon) and my streaming transport. I note that some use an ethernet switch between between the router and streamer. Assuming I got that right, what is the point- what does a good switch do? I've been into audio since the 70's but when its comes to streaming, I'm definitely a newbie- 

Thanks all!

128x128zavato

@tonix no, they do not. Qobuz, tidal and others use HTTPS. It is so easy to check, so it is ridiculous that you and other lie about this all the time.

@carlsbad2 you are always wrong, so there is a reason to my disagreement. 

since you think that Qobuz and others uses stateless protocols, post a pcap proving your point. 

@fredrik222 - confirmation bias is a two way street. To the extent that it applies, objectivists are just as prone to it as subjectivists.

There is a valid role for empirical observation in science otherwise we'd be stuck at "sun stand thou still upon Gibeon".

There is an interesting Live Blind Test Switches on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HNMMksiD_Q 

The two guys don't agree: on prefers and expensive audiophile switch and the other a standard pretty cheap switch. 

I was contemplating buying the cheaper one, but never did.