Ethernet Switch- what's the point?

I run an Ethernet cable between my router (standard issue from Verizon) and my streaming transport. I note that some use an ethernet switch between between the router and streamer. Assuming I got that right, what is the point- what does a good switch do? I've been into audio since the 70's but when its comes to streaming, I'm definitely a newbie- 

Thanks all!

128x128zavato

A good Ethernet switch such as the SW8 is the best I have compared 

For it has low noise power regulation , a Ocxo over controlled clock ⏰ 

and Linear power supplies with lots of capacitor filtering  a night and day better setup ,and  BTW the piece of crap you have wall wart for your router  I changed to a 12v Linear power supply  with decent power cord, and upgraded fuse sonically 

much cleaner sound ,now with the SW8 Ethernet switch with a for example pangea power cord a nice boost in fidelity clean power counts , removing the weak links 

in the chain. IHave 40 years in Audio ,ain’t much I have not experimented with 

my brother spent over $3k on his innuous Ethernet switch and it’s muchbetter sound then mine. If you have a expensive setup the innuos is a must hear,

for myself for the moment for $595 the SW8 Ethernet switch has pretty decent reviews ,I made it much better still with the Pangea sig mk2 power cord ,

land synergistic purple fuse , yes an additional $350 but a solid increase in imaging 

and realism little money for a noticeable improvement , start with the SW8 Ethernet switch ,the good oven clock takes at least 8-10 days to fully settle in.

@erik_squires If a surge is of concern to you adding a fmc ( fiber media converted) will eliminate and surge that could damage your equipment. It will also improve the sound by eliminating the electrical noise inherent to cate cable.

I need a switch after my modem to serve several feeds (two audio systems, TV)

I replaced my Netgear switch with a Bonn 8 and heard some improvement.  I replaced this with a JCAT M12 Gold switch and easily heard a big improvement.  I then upgraded the power supply to the JCAT Optimo 3 and again easily heard an improvement.

How can an audiophile state they can never be convinced it makes a difference?  You don't need to understand it, just hear it.  I can.  

I just added a SW-10 switch, and I am using the fiber optic input too. The sound improvement was simply amazing.